LEARN BY CREATING YOUR OWN GAME, FROM YOUR HOME
- Before the start of the course, you will receive your access to XP’s e-learning platform.
- The online class is a live conference call with the teacher and fellow students, allowing you to learn and interact.
- The course material is interactive and personalized. You will choose what to study, depending on your interests (Game Design, Art, Code…).
- You will follow your own pace during the class and will be able to continue by yourself after between classes.
In only 6 weeks you’ll have created your first personalized game level. Next, you’ll create an entire game, first in 2D, then in 3D. It’s simple, hands-on and exciting.
INFORMATION OF THE COURSE
This course is designed for video game lovers who wish to create their own games and to potentially make it their career.
It touches on all aspects of game creation: game design, programming, 2D and 3D art, music and sound, and production methods. Thanks to online, individual course support, the course allows
you to strengthen your skills in the domain of your choice, at your own pace.
The course uses the popular, free professional software that do not require particularly powerful computers and can therefore be easily accessible from home, to get the most from the course.
Everything is made to simplify beginners’ task as they face a complex domain, difficult to master on their own. Teaching is done in a hands-on and fun way through projects that motivate
perseverance. For those who wish it, it’s also a complete course that you can pursue until you reach a semi-professional level through specialization, team work and acquiring a real production
This course is ideal for those who wish to prepare themselves for higher education in video games, animation movies or programming. It’ll help you find your path, choose your school and
prepare a solid admission portfolio of your personal creations. This course can also allow a motivated adult to directly join the industry since it offers long term support by professionals.
The course is based on Unity, a powerful software that simplifies the game development process. It is both an introduction and a complete course that helps those who want to build a portfolio of personal creations, with the support of professionals.
- Beginners are guided through a simplified version of Unity unique to Studio XP. They obtain results quickly, which pushes them to persevere.
- Then, students progress step by step by working on projects divided into chapters of 6 classes. This promotes hands-on experience.
Beginners create a 2D platform game (Super Mario Bros style). They become familiar with Unity and show their creativity. Video
- Chapter 1 – Platforms. Software start-up and basic commands. Basics of level design. Art in 2D with GIMP. Programming visual blocks with Playmaker.
- Chapter 2 – Puzzles. Music and sounds. Rewards. Programming a trampoline and setting levers.
Then, we create an impressive Role Playing Game in 3D of the likes of Skyrim. Video
- Chapter 3 – Village. Create a terrain in 3D. Placing buildings and programming villagers’ movement. Introduction to the C# programming language
- Chapter 4 – Enemies. Game design (combat rules), 3D modeling of a weapon in Blender, special effects, programming an attack in C#
- Chapter 5 – Dungeon. Level design of an interior space, camera, lights and animating a trap.
- Chapter 6 – Boss. Setting a complex fight. Programing quests. Creating a cinematic ending.
- Chapters 7 to 10 – Job specialization: individual portfolio, group projects with pro methods
Just like professional game makers, students save time by using a game canvas and “prefabs” from the Unity Asset Store. They learn to modify them to create their own game.
Students all progress at their own pace and can choose what they learn. The course is on a interactive web platform (Moodle). When a lesson is finished, the next lesson is unlocked. Lessons are organized by pathways:
- The Main Pathway addresses basic knowledge of all 3 areas of expertise. The first chapters focus on game design and level design. The main pathway can be finished in class without any homework.
- The Secondary Pathway (Conception, Art and Programming) are unlocked during the main pathway and help deepen the students’ knowledge on one of the 3 expertises.
- The Advanced Pathway contains more advanced lessons, designed for students who wish who do more and go further into game creation.
The course allows students to become autonomous and gain valuable game making experience.
During the first classes, beginners will face bugs and technical challenges that are inevitable during the creation process. They learn the advanced functions of a computer, how to use complex softwares, and bug-fixing methods.
The course gives a practical experience of the production methods, first with students on their own, then in a team where each one has his own specialty (designer, artist, programmer…).
Class preparation: A few days before the first class, new students will receive, via email, instructions to create a Unity account, a crucial step before starting the course. They will be guided through the set-up of the Unity software on their PC, along with Studio XP course material.Course content access: From home, students can access the course material on the web via Moodle. The courses are small interactive lessons with videos. With each lesson done, students unlock the next lesson and are offered a choice of adapted challenges. Each student can progress at his own pace during class and continue at home if they want to. This innovative approach has many advantages:
- The course is adapted to many type of students: fast and slow learners, young and old, detail-oriented and fast-paced, those with learning difficulties and the gifted.
- Every student can build his own course. For example, a student interested in art can take more lessons in that field. A student can decide to progressively become specialized in one field or stay versatile.
- Students can work from home to go further in the course material or to pick up content from a missed class.
- One group can welcome both beginners and advanced students. A new course begins every 6 classes, for more flexibility.
- Students can return where they left at, even after months away. There are also summer camps to progress more rapidly.
- The platform makes communication easy with the teacher and makes it easy for students to follow their own progress. It also allows for a clear overview of the program.
- Learn to create your own games. With Unity and Studio XP’s progressive method, it is now easy to turn your ideas into reality, step by step. Students gain autonomy by learning techniques used by professionals to create a game they are proud of. An amateur can create quality games on his own and take part in « game jams » (game creation team competitions).
- Discover digital technologies. With this course, students discover programming, interactivity, production methods… Unity is also used in industrial design, architecture, simulations, education, special effects, animated movies…
- Enjoy learning to code. Because game creation is concrete, it enables students to understand the concepts of programming. The course starts with simplified coding with Playmaker, and then introduces the C# language
- Get access to higher studies in video gaming (University…). This course enables students to discover job opportunities and the various education paths. Guided by pros, students are also given the opportunity to build their portfolio which is essential to be admitted in courses with restricted quotas.
- Succeed in school and in further studies.
Gain perseverance, rigor, priority management and the ability to work in teams. Creating a game is also about accomplishing a complex project and assimilating useful notions.
- Perform in programming courses. Students of Studio XP learn the fundamentals of programming and gain an edge compared to other students, even in higher studies.
- Going back to studies. Studio XP’s concrete way of teaching gives gives discouraged students their confidence and love of learning back. With dedication and work, the most motivated students can get a job in the industry, even without a diploma.
- Thriving in a more adapted environment than traditional schooling. Video games attract a wide variety of people. The individualized method of teaching of studio XP is appropriate for the homeschooled and the gifted, for those with ASD, ADHD or SLI, as well as those with internet addiction and who’ve dropped out of school. Furthermore, these courses promote socializing since both the teacher and the students share the same passion.
- Developing talents at a young age. Same as learning a new language or practicing an instrument, programming, art and knowledge about game mechanics is best learned at a young age when the brain acts like a sponge. Studio XP gives confidence and autonomy to the youth and helps them perform in a world home to constant technological and creative evolution.
IS THIS COURSE FOR YOU?
- If absent, a student can access the course at home. However, we do not recommend to miss more than 2 classes within a 6 courses chapter.
- In some cases, it is possible to take the missed class in another city or take two consecutive classes on the same day (depending on the calendar). The schedule and adresses are available on the website.
- If you miss a chapter (6 classes), it is possible to retake it during the next session since everyone’s progress is saved on their personal account.
- Homework is not mandatory. Courses can be completed entirely in class by following the « main courses ».
- There are usually no classes during school vacations and holidays. A detailed scheduled is available of Moodle.
The game creation course with Unity will help you discover the different careers and make an informed decesion about your studies. It will also allow you to build our portfolio for higher education institutions that require one. By itself, the course can lead to a career path in a small independant studio, given that the efforts are put in. Though, to join a bigger studio (Ubisoft, etc.), it is recommended to have a specialized higher education degree in gaming or programming.
- Courses are both for adults and young since everyone progresses at their own speed on a personalized course.
- The youngests concentrate on their creations. They learn through practice and repetition, through play and fun, in an environment that favours their passion for games. The first steps consist
of being confronted with bugs, and become more precise, methodical and persevering. The, creativity kicks in and become the center of the learning process. Parents can follow in real time
their children’s progress on the internet.
- Teenagers and adults appreciate more the theory behind the course, exchange with their peers and discover the professional workplace with their teacher. They acquire tips to build their
portfolio and gain practical experience that is difficult to find elsewhere.
Studio XP’s purpose is to offer flexible and adapted learning depending on abilities, knowledge, personality, objectives and availability. Contrary to rigid traditional schools, everything is
designed to answer to each student’s individual needs: the teaching approach, content taught, tools, and ways to learn.
- Unity is adapted to multiple needs, tastes and aptitudes. Even as a professional software, it is easy to use and used by many (artists, conceptors, coders) for diverse applications (games,
cinema, architecture, medecine) and involves reading, writing, calculating, creativity, problem solving, organization, collaboration, and perseverance.
- Studio XP’s course material is interactive and personalized. It’s an advanced tool based on the Moodle platform. Each student follows the course at his own rhythm and unblocks short lessons
rich in videos, following a personalized course.
- Parents have access to the dashboard and follows in real time their child’s progress. They can react better, with the help of the teacher, in case of difficulties.
- The courses are a place to socialize with students that share the same passion for video games and with teachers from the professional field.
- The desire to create an interesting game pushes the students to excel and persevere.
This course helps the development of students with difficulties in school.
- Gifted students (gifted and high potential) find adapted challenges that keeps them interested in class. They socialize
with other students and share their passion. The support of interactive courses allows them to unlock supplmentary lessons on different aspect of programming that are more difficult. While
covering more content, the work themes of gifted students are synchronized with those of the other students and they can enjoy the group dynamic.
- Students with ASD appreciate the structured presentation and individual learning. Socilizing is facilitated since other students respect their talent and ask for their help. An adult can assist in
the class if the teacher agrees to it.
- Students with ADHD benefit from the rapid pace of the lessons and the possibility to move forward from one subject to the next which keeps their attentio focused. Unfortunately, this class
gives freedom which could lead some students to stray on Youtube despite the teacher’s supervision.
- Students with reading difficulties are helped with videos and short reading texts. However, sofitware contain complex menus that do require reading.
- Students who dropped out of school can get back their love of learning. The « XP point » system helps them to follow their progress. The act of building a video game, separated in concrete
steps, encourages them to get organized and persevere. They are surrounded by other students interested in making this their future career.
- Students who tend be addicted to video games can realize that by becoming a creator instead of a player, they can get some distance with their passion. They socialize in class. The game building process teaches them to be organized. In order to find the time to learn more at home, they must reduce their play time.
If you have any particular needs, do not hesitate to contact us. On the first day of class, you will be able to talk with the teacher and decide on an action plan.